LightningBuy, a single-click mobile checkout platform that lets merchants sell directly from email and social media posts, has announced the retailers with the most and least effective mobile email marketing campaigns. LightningBuy's Mobile Email Scorecard reviewed the email marketing campaigns from sixty of the largest Internet retailers during the week leading up to and including Thanksgiving weekend.

The Mobile Email Scorecard reveals that Internet retailers will find it challenging to drive holiday sales from email marketing campaigns if they are not optimized for mobile. According to BlueHornet, 76 percent of consumers use their smartphones some or all of the time to sort emails before viewing on a computer. “That means email campaigns had better be optimized for mobile or retailers will miss out on sales," said Carissa Ganelli, CEO of LightningBuy. "Over 80 percent of non-optimized emails will be deleted without being read and 30 percent of consumers will take the additional step of unsubscribing entirely."

Only 35 percent of the retailers reviewed for the Mobile Email Scorecard sent mobile-optimized emails promoting Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. The remaining 65 percent sent non mobile-optimized emails that are less likely to be read. “It’s really not an option to not give priority to mobile. Not when the latest IBM Benchmark report from Black Friday shows that sales from mobile devices grew 43 percent from last year to generate almost 22 percent of total online sales, and mobile was responsible for almost 40 percent of all online traffic. In fact, Cyber Monday’s name should be changed to Mobile Monday due to the exponential growth of mobile commerce in just the past few years,” said Ganelli.

The Scorecard declares 15 of 60 retailers (25 percent) the winners, having both mobile-optimized email and a corresponding mobile website: Athleta, Banana Republic, Gilt, Groupon, J.Crew, Kmart, Neiman Marcus, OfficeMax, Puritan’s Pride, Saks Fifth Avenue, Sears, Target, The Home Depot, Nordstrom, and RueLaLa.

The retailers least likely to generate sales from their email campaigns are those with non mobile-optimized emails that lead to non-mobile optimized versions of their websites. Nine retailers fall into this category including: Amazon, Ashford, Baby Gap, Banana Republic Factory Store, Bergdorf Goodman, Cusp (by Neiman Marcus), Horchow, PCMall, and Snapfish.

Three retailers, Amazon, Baby Gap, and Banana Republic Factory Store, all have mobile websites, yet their email campaigns redirect to their standard websites on mobile devices. “These retailers appear very out of touch with how consumers want to buy. This leaves a huge opening for competitors who have made the effort to be where the consumers are, which is on mobile devices,” said Ganelli.

The remaining retailers from the scorecard have mixed results with 30 of the retailers (50 percent) having non-mobile optimized emails that lead to mobile websites and six (10 percent) having mobile-optimized emails that lead to non-mobile websites. Four of those six, GameStop, Lowes, Musician’s Friend, and Walmart have mobile websites, yet the emails go to the standard desktop site which looks shrunken on a smartphone.

Read more about multichannel retailing.

Related Content

User Comments – Give us your opinion!
Products & Services

LG 32LN549E

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/6457.png

6457/LG-32LN549E

Slabb X4 Wall Mount Informational Kiosk

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/6479.png

6479/Slabb-X4-Wall-Mount-Informational-Kiosk

Government KIOSKS

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/4620.png

4620/Government-KIOSKS

Slabb X7E Transactional Kiosk

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/7025.png

7025/Slabb-X7E-Transactional-Kiosk

Black Box DVI-D Extender with Audio and EDID

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/3193.png

3193/Black-Box-DVI-D-Extender-with-Audio-and-EDID

Super-Slim LCD for Video Walls | 55” NEC X551S

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/4697.png

4697/Super-Slim-LCD-for-Video-Walls-55-NEC-X551S

KEO Mobile Charging Kiosk

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/4915.png

4915/KEO-Mobile-Charging-Kiosk

ComQi Videos

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/5201.png

5201/ComQi-Videos

Total-Customer Service

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/6205.png

6205/Total-Customer-Service

Qtrac Virtual Queuing System

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/6171.png

6171/Qtrac-Virtual-Queuing-System

Vend and PayPal White Paper
CONNECT 2014 Mobile Innovation Summit
Request Information From Suppliers
Save time looking for suppliers. Complete this form to submit a Request for Information to our entire network of partners.