HP officials are betting their newly-launched kiosk and POS solutions will help retailers engage their customers.
Alan Crouse, visual solutions product manager for HP Americas region, said in a telephone interview that the kiosks are perfect for the retail, hospitality or healthcare settings because they're versatile enough to be mounted to a wall, on a countertop or can also be freestanding. The kiosks use Microsoft Windows 7 Professional operating systems and feature the company's Virtual Sales Assistant software, which includes a setup wizard that allows retailers to personalize a variety of pre-developed user interfaces, upload custom assets, manage content remotely and assign locations and playlists.
The kiosks offer information via 23- or 42-inch diagonal high-definition touchscreens and are "very secure," Crouse said. "They have a lockable steel enclosure on the front."
|HP's Elite model
Optional digital-signage components allow retailers to place the kiosks in any customer-facing environment to run in-store promotions, provide directions or share news and product information.
"It's a great option for low-traffic areas where you want to generate interest," Crouse said. "And the (screens) run regardless of what the (kiosk is doing)."
"Savvy retailers are upgrading their in-store technology – especially at the point of sale – to seamlessly integrate with other channels and enable their customers to shop the way they want to, creating a better in-store experience," said Ray Carlin, vice president of HP's Retail Solutions Global Business Unit, in a press release.
The HP Self-Service Kiosks are available in three configurations:
• Wall & Shelving Mount: Includes an HP TouchSmart 9300 Elite Business PC with a 23-inch diagonal screen for touchscreen interaction, which also can be used to display advertisements or messages when not in use.
• Pro: Includes the HP TouchSmart 9300 Elite Business PC with a 42-inch diagonal HP LD4210 Digital Signage Display mounted above shelf level that can provide messaging to consumers even when the software is in use on the interactive screen.
• Elite: Features the HP LD4200 Interactive Digital Signage Display with a 42-inch diagonal touch-enabled vertical-mounted display delivering HD-quality messaging and content to the user, creating an interactive self-service solution.
Crouse said each model can be customized with additional optional accessories such as HP Digital Signage Displays, Thermal Receipt Printer, HP Imaging Barcode Scanner and HP Mini Magnetic Stripe Reader.
The HP Self-Service Kiosks are expected to be available beginning May 23 in the United States, Canada and Latin America.
The company also launched the HP rp5800 Retail System, a high-performance POS solution designed for the retail environment. It allows retailers to standardize on one system throughout their stores. According to the press release, second-generation IntelCore processors with Intel vPro technology provide a stable and reliable IT infrastructure, while dual-integrated graphics ports support both clerk- and customer-facing displays create a rich and engaging customer experience.
|HP's Pro model
The HP rp5800 also enables enhanced manageability and control for retailers through compliance with industry-leading manageability standards, including Intel AMT (Intel vPro), DASH, WMI and DMTF, and support for Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Microsoft Windows POSReady 2009 and Microsoft Windows® XP operating systems.
It has extra memory slots, multiple PCI Express slots, optional optical drives and can connect to a range of optional peripherals, including receipt printers, monitors, cash drawers and scanners. New optional peripherals include:
• HP L1506x 15-inch LED Monitor: Utilizing an LED-backlit industrial panel, the HP L1506x Monitor offers increased brightness and a high-contrast ratio and supports operating temperatures up to 50 C (122 F), making it ideal for demanding retail environments. The L1506x has a detachable base and standard VESA mounts, allowing it to be mounted to a wall, the rp5800 Integration Assembly or other custom mounting solutions.
• HP Integration Assembly: The HP Integration Assembly is a four-part, mix-and-match kit for retail locations. The terminal enclosure provides extra security and protection for cables and I/O ports and against dust, while the Integration Tray Assembly keeps peripherals contained – either secured on top of the HP rp5800 Enclosure Assembly, the Heavy Duty Cash Drawer or directly on the counter. With room for a keyboard, printer and barcode scanner, the design allows for various configurations depending on retailers' needs. The Pole Mount Assembly and Optional Display Arm Assembly enable the mounting of multiple monitors for customer and employee use.
Crouse sai the flexibility and management features of the system make it ideal for use at a manager's workstation, placed within a kiosk or as a player for HP Digital Signage.
The HP rp5800 Retail System will be available this summer from HP resellers, but the HP L1506x 15-inch LED Monitor is now available in North America and Japan. The HP Integration Assembly is expected to be available later this summer from HP resellers.
Cherryh Butler has been a reporter for nearly 10 years, writing on a variety of topics ranging from the restaurant industry to business and health and fitness news. Before joining FastCasual.com as editor, she oversaw KioskMarketplace.com and PizzaMarketplace.com and contributed to RetailCustomerExperience.com. She's also written for several daily newspapers, magazines and websites, including The Kansas City Star and American Fitness magazine.