The National Retail Federation today announced the top 10 finalists of its "This is Retail" video contest, determined after a week of public voting through NRF's Retail Means Jobs website. More than 245,000 votes were cast for the Top 20 finalists between Tuesday, April 3 and midnight Sunday, April 8.
"The level of enthusiasm and support for our contest finalists has come from every corner of the country, including Congressional representatives, governors and mayors," NRF President and CEO Matthew Shay, said in a press release. "The sheer number of votes for these retailers from their customers, business partners, family, friends and communities demonstrates the power of the retail industry and shows how our industry touches every single American."
The top 10 finalists in alphabetical order are:
- Jim Adams, Falls Road Running Store, Baltimore, Md.
- Tanna Dang, Eden in Love, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Carina Donoso, Alex and Ani, Brookline, R.I.
- Robert Houston, Anna and Eve, Oak Brook, Ill.
- Susan Kaufman, Market Alley Wines, Monmouth, IL
- Harrison Kressler, Bookmans, Tucson, Ariz.
- Mark Plessinger, Frame of Mind, Columbia, S.C.
- Deirdre Shaw, Monkee's, Wilmington, N.C.
- Kim Williams, The Polka Dot Press, Tallahassee, Fla.
- Julie Wurr, Heart 'n Home, Laurens, Iowa
The selection process will continue through April as the top 10 videos go head-to-head this week in a bracket-style tournament, with the top five contestants announced Monday, April 16. From April 17-22, the top five videos will compete against each other, and the top three finalists will be announced on May 1. The contest's top three finalists will be flown to NRF's Washington Leadership Conference for the announcement of the contest rankings on May 16. The first place winner will receive $25,000 with $15,000 for second place and $10,000 for third place.
The contest is a part of the association's multi-faceted Retail Means Jobs campaign. The contest, officially announced in January at Retail's BIG Show, was designed to promote retail as a career and demonstrate the multitude of career choices available within the retail industry.