Are interactive kiosks really effective?
It seems that the word "interactive" is being used in various forums and mediums. But what makes interactivity so important, especially when it comes to kiosk design?
In the simplest terms, I think we can all agree that in this age of advanced technology, where everything is more accessible, faster, more responsive and ever changing that the "interactive element" is a must, in order to stay ahead or simply keep up with competitors. In addition to this, we live in a world of the informed consumer – they know what is available and what is possible and they demand it.
Just look at the technological advancements in our lifetime and the rate of change ... we have already seen five iterations of the iPad, six of the iPhone, there are over 100 tablet models – a number that continues to increase, laptops that are rivaling the thickness of paper and the technological evolution shows no signs of slowing down. This is our normal and the kiosk industry is no exception.
Kiosk interactivity gives a business one additional touch point (no pun intended) to their customers. This provides many unique opportunities for businesses, namely:
- A kiosk that enables interactivity will allow the input of customer data, providing both quantitative and qualitative information that can track buying patterns and assist in driving sales.
- Interactive kiosks reduce the amount of staff needed allowing a company to reduce training and staffing costs.
- The increased presence of interactive kiosks has encouraged the creation of customized software that can facilitate several web?based applications, thereby reducing implementation costs.
- It is an ideal platform for a company to showcase their product while providing a modernized brand experience.
- It allows a business to differentiate itself by creating a unique, quick and efficient self?service option for customers.
- An interactive kiosk is the perfect solution for brick and mortar retailers with an online presence to bridge any divide that may exist between the two channels. It is also an easy transition for customers who shop online to use the kiosk to purchase their products.
- And we haven't even mentioned the benefits to customers yet...
- An interactive kiosk can provide 24 hour access to products and services allowing customers to shop at their convenience.
- It gives customers a self?service option which reduces the time that could normally be spent doing a traditional transaction; not to mention, it eliminates the need to stand in line.
- Customers get the opportunity to view products on an interactive platform that can simulate the physical attributes of the product, assisting with final purchase decisions.
- It is a source for easily accessible, updated company and product information.
Kisha Wilson Kisha Wilson is the Marketing Manager at SlabbKiosks, Inc. with a passion for writing. I have been in the field of Marketing and Communications for the past 8 yrs. www